Soakaway Crates & Soakaways Standard
Soakaway crates for Sustainable Drainage Systems (SuDS)
Soakaway Crates, or water cells as they are sometimes referred to as, are now the most commonly used method of building a soakaway for both domestic housing and commercial applications offering you a smarter way to manage your rainwater.
The soakaway crates innovative design can offer a significant saving in the amount of excavation, soil transport and installation time and they are quick and easy to install without the need for any heavy machinery.
We sell Rainsmart soakaway crates. Our crates are available either fully assembled or flat packed to save valuable space on site and there is a wide variety of design options to suit all types of different site requirements so whether you need 1 cubic metre soakaway set to install in your back garden or a larger soakaway for your commercial project we can certainly help. In addition to the Rainsmart system we also stock Polypipe Polystorm Soakaway crate systems.
Soakaway Crates & Sets
You can purchase our Soakaway Crates individually or as sets of 1 cubic metre - these sets come with sufficient geotextile membrane to wrap all of the outward faces of the soakaway. We stock Rainsmart soakaway crates in a variety of different size and layout options. The modular structure provides flexibility and if desired can allow you to create alternative sixe and shapes to fit in tight spots.
Rainsmart products are strong, easy to install, eco-friendly and very long lasting and can be used in a variety of applications. With a void ratio of 95% these systems are vastly superior to the old style rubble soakaways and ensures a large contact area for quick infiltration while allowing more water to be stored in less space.
Additionally, our Rainsmart Ellipse crates come with a 24 tonne vertical crush load and market leading 18 tonne lateral load offering a heavy loading capacity to allow installation under gardens, driveways or car parks. If you want something a little more heavy duty our 65 tonne heavy will do just the job offering a vertical load of 65 tonne.
Rainsmart Soakaway Systems
Rainsmart Soakaway systems are an innovative, superbly engineered range of products used in the collection and controlled discharge of stormwater. With a team led by professionals from the civil engineering and environmental fields, Rainsmart have developed a range of long-lasting, robust and eco-friendly products that provide ground-breaking solutions to the rainwater management problems presented by urban developments.
With load ratings of up to 85 tonnes vertically and an industry-leading 18 tonnes laterally, Rainsmart systems are suitable for all types of applications including infiltration (soakaways), attenuation (controlled discharge), and retention (rainwater recycling).
You can learn more about each of these different types of stormwater management in our Soakaways Guides & Tips Section.
The one problem that soakaway crates traditionally present both to merchants and installers is on-site storage and distribution. Crates are bulky items that take up a lot of space, so often installers will order them just prior to installation in order to save valuable space on site. Rainsmart’s innovative soakaway systems are available in a flat pack option for easy assembly on site.
Assembly is a simple process – the only tool required is a rubber mallet which we include with each cubic metre set. Simple instructions are included and you can view a short instructional video here. One person should be able to assemble a one cubic metre set in 12 to 15 minutes.
Soakaway Crate Sizes
We have a number of differing sizes of soakaway crate - we offer shallow crates as an option if a shallow dig soakaway is needed. So if your property is in an area where the water table is higher than normal this could be perfect.
The clever design of Rainsmart soakaway crates allows you to stack them all on a shallow, single layer whilst still holding the same amount of stormwater as a standard layout 1 cubic metre soakaway.
This type of soakaway is also popular for those excavating by hand – this is a laborious and potentially dangerous scenario when installing a standard shape soakaway without mechanical means.
Soakaway crates for heavier soils are also available if there has been an issue with soil permeability. In normal permeable soils, rainwater held in the soakaway infiltrates back into the surrounding soil, recharging underground aquifers and providing moisture for the surrounding vegetation. In heavier (less permeable) soils the rate of infiltration is much slower – the clay based soil particles form a barrier that holds the stormwater for longer within the upper reaches of the ground.
Rainsmart Heavy Soil Soakaways are designed to give a much greater soil contact area – up to four times that of a normal one cubic metre soakaway. This is achieved by creating a table shaped structure, utilising a flat 30mm water storage cell above a standard soakaway cube. This increased surface area allows rainwater to permeate the soil over a larger expanse, reducing the chance of saturation in the area immediately surrounding the base soakaway crate structure.
For any soakaway installation we always recommend seeking advice from you local authority planning officer. If you have any doubt as to whether your soil is suitable for a soakaway a simple soil percolation test would be advisable.
Installing Your Soakaway Crates
If your not sure how to correctly install a soakaway system then we have got you covered. Find out how to install your crates using our best practice guide.
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Set Flat-Packed 1 Cubic Metre£183.60 £153.00 Save 10% £204.00 £170.00
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Set Assembled 1 Cubic Metre£205.20 £171.00 Save 10% £228.00 £190.00
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Set Flat-Packed With Silt Trap & Lid 1 Cubic Metre£448.20 £373.50 Save 10% £498.00 £415.00
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Set Assembled With Silt Trap & Lid 1 Cubic Metre£480.60 £400.50 Save 10% £534.00 £445.00
- Rainsmart Soakaway Set Flat-Packed - Heavy 1 Cubic Metre£221.40 £184.50 Save 10% £246.00 £205.00
- Rainsmart Soakaway Set Assembled - Heavy 1 Cubic Metre£243.00 £202.50 Save 10% £270.00 £225.00
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Crate Assembled£51.30 £42.75 Save 10% £57.00 £47.50
- Rainsmart Soakaway Crate Flat-Packed - Heavy 65 Tonne£62.10 £51.75 Save 10% £69.00 £57.50
- Rainsmart Soakaway Crate Assembled - Heavy 65 Tonne£67.50 £56.25 Save 10% £75.00 £62.50
- Rainsmart Soakaway Set For Heavier Soils Flat-Packed 1 Cubic Metre£312.00 £260.00
- Rainsmart Soakaway Set For Heavier Soils Assembled 1 Cubic Metre£336.00 £280.00
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Crate Spare Inspection Plate£3.74 £3.12
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Crate Spare Small Plate£3.74 £3.12
- Rainsmart Ellipse Soakaway Crate Spare Large Plate£5.18 £4.32
- Rainsmart Soakaway Crate Spare Entry/Inspection Plate - Heavy 65 Tonne£5.18 £4.32
- Rainsmart Soakaway Crate Spare Side Plate - Heavy 65 Tonne£5.18 £4.32
- Rainsmart Soakaway Crate Spare Inner Plate - Heavy 65 Tonne£4.01 £3.34
Soakaways & Membranes
Want some advice on how to install your soakaways, or interested in finding out more about our product range, take a look at our guides & tips.